Traversing Gender: Understanding Transgender Realities - Lee Harrington
In the current age of gender identity and transgender awareness, many questions are coming to light for everyone.
Whether brought about by media and cultural attention or personal journeys, individuals who have never heard of transgender, transsexual, or gender variant people can feel lost or confused. Information can be hard to find, and is often fragmented or biased.
Meanwhile, trans people are getting a chance to dialogue with each other and finally be heard by the world at large. Bringing these personal matters into the light of day, this reader-friendly resource is written for students, professionals, friends, and family members, as well as members of the transgender community itself. It is here for you and those in your life, helping create an opportunity for overcoming the challenges trans people face through awareness and action, making the world a better place one life at a time.
In Traversing Gender: Understanding Transgender Realities, author Lee Harrington helps make the intimate discussions of gender available for everyone to understand.
- Understanding the terms “trans” and “transgender”
- Differences (and crossovers) between sex, gender, and orientation
- The wide array and types of trans experiences
- Social networking and emotional support systems for trans people
- Navigating medical care, from the common cold to gender-specific procedures
- What “transitioning” looks like, from a variety of different approaches
- How legal systems interplay with gender and trans issues
- Extra challenges based on gender, race, class, age and disability
- Skills and information on being successful a trans ally
- Whether you are a longtime ally to or member of the LGBT+ community, you can find great accessories and decor for your body or your home in our Pride collections.
- Lee Harrington is an internationally known gender and sexuality author and educator who has been an active part of gender advocacy and identity awareness communities for 20 years.
- Publisher: Mystic Productions Press; 1st edition (June 1, 2016)
- Item Weight: 1 pounds
- Dimensions: 6 x 0.7 x 9 inches
- Paperback: 286 pages