Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity (2nd Ed.) - Julia Serano
Looking for a unique perspective on feminism, gender identity and intersectionality?
In the updated second edition of Whipping Girl, author Julia Serano, a transsexual woman whose supremely intelligent writing reflects her diverse background as a lesbian transgender activist and professional biologist, shares her powerful experiences and observations—both pre- and post-transition—to reveal the ways in which fear, suspicion, and dismissiveness toward femininity shape our societal attitudes toward trans women, as well as gender and sexuality as a whole.
Serano's well-honed arguments stem from her ability to bridge the gap between the often-disparate biological and social perspectives on gender. In this provocative manifesto, she exposes how deep-rooted the cultural belief is that femininity is frivolous, weak, and passive, and how this “feminine” weakness exists only to attract and appease male desire.
In addition to debunking popular misconceptions about transsexuality, Serano makes the case that today's feminists and transgender activists must work to embrace and empower femininity—in all of its wondrous forms.
- It's official: Whipping Girl is a 21st century feminist classic. It's also a gift to a culture (still) struggling to face its own misogyny. Serano's writing is clear, gracious, and incredibly illuminating.” —Jennifer Baumgardner
- "Serano's thinking continues to challenge and delight—Whipping Girl is a foundational text that will prove to be timeless.” —Jessica Valenti
- "Having only just come out as Transgender, I was taken by a friend to a bookstore and told to buy Whipping Girl immediately. As I read, the revelation dawned on me that experiencing my gender could be full of self-empowerment and liberation as opposed to the fear and shame I had already spent a lifetime living with. Not only was this book a light in the dark for someone jumping head-first into transition, it also served as an essential tool to pass on to family and friends to help them to better understand what it means to be Trans. I'm forever thankful for this book and its author.” —Laura Jane Grace
- Whether you are a longtime ally to or member of the LGBT+ community, you can find great accessories and decor for your body or your home in our Pride collections.
- Julia Serano is an acclaimed writer, performer, lecturer, speaker on the subjects of sex, gender, sexuality, feminism, queer, transgender, bisexual, activism.
- Publisher: Seal Press; 2nd ed. edition (March 8, 2016)
- Weight: 12.8 ounces
- Size: 5.5 x 1.25 x 8.25 inches
- Paperback: 424 pages
We Also Recommend
We Will Not Cancel Us: And Other Dreams of Transformative Justice (Emergent Strategy Series) - Adrienne Maree Brown