Girls & Sex: Navigating the Complicated New Landscape - Peggy Orenstein
The author of the New York Times bestseller Cinderella Ate My Daughter offers a clear-eyed picture of the new sexual landscape girls face in the post-princess stage—high school through college—and reveals how they are negotiating it.
A generation gap has emerged between parents and their girls. Even in this age of helicopter parenting, the mothers and fathers of tomorrow’s women have little idea what their daughters are up to sexually or how they feel about it.
Drawing on in-depth interviews with over seventy young women and a wide range of psychologists, academics, and experts, renowned journalist Peggy Orenstein goes where most others fear to tread, pulling back the curtain on the hidden truths, hard lessons, and important possibilities of girls’ sex lives in the modern world.
While the media has focused—often to sensational effect—on the rise of casual sex and the prevalence of rape on campus, in Girls and Sex Peggy Orenstein brings much more to the table.
- The ways in which porn and all its sexual myths have seeped into young people’s lives
- Sexual myths our teens believe
- The effects of social media
- What it means to be the “the perfect slut”
- Why many girls scorn virginity
- The complicated terrain of hookup culture
- The role of drugs and alcohol and the realities of sexual assault
- Using Safer Sex products means protecting the health of both you and of your sexual partner. It helps you stay healthy and can even make sex better.
- Peggy Orenstein is the New York Times bestselling author of Boys & Sex, Don’t Call Me Princess, Girls & Sex, Cinderella Ate My Daughter, Waiting for Daisy, Flux, and Schoolgirls. A contributing writer for the New York Times Magazine and Afar, she has also been published in New York, The Atlantic, The New Yorker, and other publications. Her TED Talk has received over five million views.
- Publisher: Harper Paperbacks; Reprint edition (March 7, 2017)
- Weight: 9 ounces
- Size: 0.76 x 5.31 x 8 inches
- Paperback: 336 pages