Being Jazz: My Life as a (Transgender) Teen - Jazz Jennings
Jazz Jennings is one of the youngest and most prominent voices in the national discussion about gender identity.
In her remarkable memoir, Jazz reflects on these very public experiences and how they have helped shape the mainstream attitude toward the transgender community.
- At the age of five, Jazz transitioned to life as a girl, with the support of her parents.
- A year later, her parents allowed her to share her incredible journey in her first Barbara Walters interview, aired at a time when the public was much less knowledgeable or accepting of the transgender community.
- This groundbreaking interview was followed over the years by other high-profile interviews, a documentary, the launch of her YouTube channel, a picture book, and her own reality TV series—I Am Jazz—making her one of the most recognizable activists for transgender teens, children, and adults.
- In her remarkable memoir, Jazz reflects on these very public experiences and how they have helped shape the mainstream attitude toward the transgender community.
- But it hasn’t all been easy. Jazz has faced many challenges, bullying, discrimination, and rejection, yet she perseveres as she educates others about her life as a transgender teen.
- Through it all, her family has been beside her on this journey, standing together against those who don't understand the true meaning of tolerance and unconditional love.
- Now Jazz must learn to navigate the physical, social, and emotional upheavals of adolescence—particularly high school—complicated by the unique challenges of being a transgender teen.
- Making the journey from girl to woman is never easy—especially when you began your life in a boy’s body.
- Explore the concept of "masculine" or "feminine" presentation or develop your own unique agender or third gender or androgynous persona with tools help you look the way you want to be in our Gender Expression collections.
- Jazz Jennings is a trans woman, YouTube celebrity, spokesmodel, activist, and author of the picture book I Am Jazz. She has a docu-series about her life also called I Am Jazz on TLC, which started airing in July 2015. She was named to Time’s “Most Influential Teens” list two years in a row, was one of Huffington Post’s “14 Most Fearless Teens,” and was the youngest person ever featured on Out’s “Out 100,” as well as on Advocate’s “40 Under 40” list. In 2014, she was named a Human Rights Campaign Youth Ambassador and received LogoTV’s Youth Trailblazer Award. Jazz also hosts a series of videos about her life on YouTube and is the face of Clean & Clear’s latest ad campaign.
- Publisher: Ember; Reprint edition (June 27, 2017)
- Reading age: 12 - 17 years
- Grade level: 7 - 9
- Weight: 8.4 ounces
- Size: 5.5 x 0.61 x 8.25 inches
- Paperback: 272 pages