Sex Is a Funny Word: A Book about Bodies, Feelings, and YOU - Cory Silverberg
A comic book for kids that includes children and families of all makeups, orientations, and gender identities, Sex Is a Funny Word is an essential resource about bodies, gender, and sexuality for children ages 8 to 10 as well as their parents and caregivers.
Much more than the "facts of life" or “the birds and the bees," Sex Is a Funny Word opens up conversations between young people and their caregivers in a way that allows adults to convey their values and beliefs while providing information about boundaries, safety, and joy.
The eagerly anticipated follow up to Lambda-nominated What Makes a Baby, from sex educator Cory Silverberg and artist Fiona Smyth, Sex Is a Funny Word reimagines "sex talk" for the twenty-first century.
From School Library Journal:
- A diverse cast of cartoon kids-in terms of appearance, ability, and point of view-explore the multiple meanings of the word sex with their teacher, friends, and family members.
- There is a heavy emphasis on the importance of thinking for oneself and developing one's own opinions.
- The language is conversational and accessible, as well as direct, fastidiously accurate, and entirely gender-neutral.
- Each section ends with conversation-provoking questions, reinforcing the suggestion that the book be read and shared in conversation with a trusted adult.
- What makes this volume exceptional is its introduction of the subjects of transgender identity, intersex conditions, and masturbation.
- The quality text is enhanced and brought to life by comics drawn with bold lines on bright, full-bleed pages.
- Smyth's illustrations are interactive, fun, and edifying, presenting a range of body types and diversity.
- Despite the title, the topic of sexual intercourse is not covered; but Silverberg prepares readers for this information by introducing concepts such as respect, trust, and joy.
- Explore the concept of "masculine" or "feminine" presentation or develop your own unique agender or third gender or androgynous persona with tools help you look the way you want to be in our Gender Expression collections.
- Cory Silverberg is a sexuality media consultant, a founding member of a worker co-operative sex store, a sex educator, a frequent contributor to national media, and co-author of The Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability.
- Fiona Smyth is a Toronto based painter, educator, illustrator, and cartoonist. Her feminist artwork has exhibited internationally.
- Publisher: Triangle Square; Illustrated edition (July 28, 2015)
- Reading age: 8 - 10 years
- Grade level: 2 - 5
- Weight: 1.32 pounds
- Size: 7.57 x 0.72 x 9.27 inches
- Hardcover: 160 pages
We Also Recommend
We Will Not Cancel Us: And Other Dreams of Transformative Justice (Emergent Strategy Series) - Adrienne Maree Brown
The Body is not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love - Sonya Renee Taylor